Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Volleyball Group... is Fantastic!

I've wanted to do this for a long time now... but I've hesitated, because I feared that I would have trouble doing the group justice with just a simple blog post.  But, it's time to move forward...

When I was a little kid, my parents (both teachers) hooked up with this great group of people (most of them associated with public education) who played volleyball every Friday night at one of the local school gyms, usually Somerset Elementary.  The history of the group goes back before my family joined the group... I'm not exactly sure of the exact date of creation.  I do know that I was hanging out with this group back in the mid 70's, before I was big enough to join the fun on the court.

Thus, my sister Kristin and I would hang out with all the other kids in the unused sections of the gym and play with all the PE equipment... and that was a blast... bowling pins, hoola hoops, scooters, jump ropes, basketballs, soccer balls, etc.  For an active kid, it was an awesome place to be.

One reason it was such a great experience was the wonderful people that have made up the volleyball group over the years.  The group has been such an inviting, and engaging group of people that a snotty-nosed kid could feel comfortable hanging out with them... especially if you knew some jokes!

Over the years, I spent many satisfying Friday nights playing my heart out with this group.  We would have great rallies, and competitive games, and tons of fun.  Everyone gave it their best, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  For many years I looked forward to ending my week with this tradition of  a great, sweaty volleyball workout with a great group of people.

Well, I wanted to pay tribute to all these volleyballers... the people who gave me so many years of great memories... the people who eventually opened their wings and let me whack the volleyball whenever I was able to make it to the court.  The people who have been making good things happen for decades!

One of the traditions since the beginning has been after Friday night volleyball, everyone would head out to pizza afterwards, which is another fun thing to do when you're a kid... stay up late, listen in on some crude adult conversation, and eat pizza... fun stuff!

The volleyball group has also done extra-curricular activities over the years, whether it was heading down to Jim and Sheila Wimberly's place in Manzinita or Long Beach, or heading to Jim and Carol Gaston's place in Winthrop.  There were also the Apple Cups at Lance and Karen Mauden's or the occassional Husky Women's Volleyball games.  The amazing part about this group is that it's had unbelievable staying power.  The volleyball group has existed for almost 40 years, and they are still showing up at the same school on Friday nights and playing volleyball.  Yes, the spikes are a little less smashing, and the lateral movement a little less graceful, but they're out there doing it... and doing it well... and I think that's fantastic!

Circa 1982?

2003 Apple Cup


Dave expresses his distress over a weak and beaten up Apple Cup Husky squad.


Dave cries Uncle and lets Alli pour salt in the wound.


Pizza Time!

Hangin' out at the Gaston's

After Keith's smashing victory at horse balls, Dave's seemed to sag a little lower.

Front Yard V-ball at the Wimberly's





Hangin out in Winthrop


Bocce Ball Tourney


Look at Sherry balancing that stick!

The good old school of Somerset

Dave always had trouble knowing when it was appropriate to play with his rod.





Over the years we saw many players take the court and join the fun.  With a little help from my friends, here's what's in the memory bank (If anyone has any additions, please add them to the comments section below!)

Dave Preszler
Pat Preszler
Keith Preszler
Nancy Denney
Lance Mauden
Karen Mauden
Jim Gaston
Carol Gaston
Mel Robinson
Sherry Robinson
Chuck Zuber
Jan Zuber
Jim Wimberly
Sheila Wimberly
Woody Haizlip
Suzanne Haizlip
Judy Brison
Rob Brown
Wayne Lamm
Sharon Lamm
Eric Lamm
Doug Lapchis
Rob Denney
Ben Zapata
Shirley Zapata
Dennis Lapchis
Kristin Lapchis
Tyler Rooney
Tom McCann
Gary Emery
Pam Emery
Terry Everman
Sandy Everman
Frank Albertini
Jeri Albertini
Wally Peltola
Bonnie Peltola
Brian Peterman
Debbie Peterman
Gordon Holder
Cheri Holder
Vivian ?


With that said, I would love for this post to live on... with updates, more photos, a better accounting of the factual data, and added stories of all the good times.  I know that Dave Preszler has an amazing witty means of communicating, which would be fun to somehow add to this tribute... here's an example...

"Last week was pretty good, but we did experience some truancy.  Woody has been having MRI treatment, which I think stands for magnetic repellent insertion and he thinks will enable him to block without jumping...whatever, but maybe he should stick to steriods and blood doping like the rest of us.  Karen was also out, something about having Woody's back.  Sherry missed and I don't know if she has a leg to stand on.  Judy was antipodal.   And there was something fishy about Chuck and Wayne's absence.  So I am calling in the man you see below.  Some people ask me: Is that Charles Manson?  Some people ask me: Is that a friendly smile or the glean of a crazy man?  I don't respond to questions.  I just point out that if you are not at volleyball this Friday, April 24, you will be at home when this guy is creepy-crawling your house.  See you all Friday,

Dave"


And then there were the various graphic handiworks of Woody...


I'd post one of Lance's jokes, but I'm keeping this thing PG.  ;)

I have to say that the most laughed about and enjoyed story that I remember was the 5K Fun Run on the beach in Manzanita that Eric Gaston participated in, with sand in his shorts... and the results have become a legend that has lasted for years... ah, that was so funny.

Another year, on the 4th of July, a beautiful fireworks show started, and I looked up to watch, and the "punk" that I was using to light my fireworks accidentally lit the pack of jumping jacks off in my hand... ooh that hurt like the dickens, and I remember being up all that night, putting new ice cubes on those burns.

Another memory was playing sand softball, when everyone was telling Dad to backup because Lance was going to hit it over his head... so he took a couple steps back... "No, go back farther Doug"... so he took a couple more steps... "Farther"...  a couple more steps... then of course Lance proceeded to hit the leather off that ball, sending it sailing over Dad's head.  It was hilarious.

See, I'm sure there are dozens of stories to be added to this recap.  Like the contest that Mom and Mel recently won... I hear there is video of that?!  ;)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this post.  Despite my lack of presence on Friday nights in the past decade, I still have wonderful feelings and memories for this group of people that will go down in history as one of the greatest groups of people I've associated with over the years.... the one and only Volleyball Group!

Sincerely,
Dennis Lapchis

P.S.  Let me say that it would be very quick and easy to setup a separate blog for the volleyball group that would allow anyone to post articles, pictures, announcements, etc. (it could be public or private)  Please let me know if there is any interest in this, and I will set it up.

Update:  4/14/2014

Karen Mauden forwarded the following additional photos... great people, great times, great memories!

 Mel and Woody contemplate their next spikes!


 Two good looking Friday Night V-ballers!



Some more Woody PhotoShop Magic!


Keith brings out the animal instincts in most ladies on Friday nights!

 A classic Woody pitch.

 Sharon and Wayne whoop it up at a Husky V-ball game.

Jim prepares to bareback a big elk.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything sounds pretty darn good there Dennis, you young whipper snapper, except that part about the snotty nosed kid who knew some "jokes." If I'm not mistaken, the jury is still out on that. I've heard it said by some that we were actually laughing at the "jokes", but I think the sober ones (and that might be the ones whose memories actually still work) might remember us laughing... well, maybe not exactly just at the "jokes".

And add Eric Lamm to the list. Without Eric we would never have any idea what the heck the score was, who had just served, or even what day of the week it was.

efac said...

Those were great times. I have been so embarrassed by not backing up far enough for Lance's big hit that I have not shown up again for volleyball. The truth be known, Lance really offered me a case of beer to make him look good. I guess I did a good job, but I never got the beer. I can only echo Dennis's comments, what a terrific group of people. You even put up with my Wilt Chamberlain skyhook of a spike. The longevity of the group has to do with the people involved and the ethic that people were more important than winning or losing. I think of you often and miss you all. I hope Keith has had the opportunity to award the Fish Tail that I have preserved all these many year and return to him this summer. My best to all.

Cheers,

Doug

Unknown said...

Pictures were excellent as same the fact about the great experience was the wonderful people that have made up the volleyball,also excellent to share,

__________________
Dissertation Proposal Example

Allan Wright said...

I am just reading this post now, many months after it was written, but wanted to add my own memory. As a longtime friend of Dennis, I joined the Lapchis famiy several times on these Friday nights. While I was by no means a regular and as another kid will not be remembered by any of the true regulars, I distinctly remember the volleyball, the pizza, and the vibe. How cool is that to create a group that can provide a strong memory to a young boy that lasts for decades?