Monday, December 21, 2009

The Infamous Back Country Snowmobiling Weekend in the North Cascades!

One weekend in early 2009, I roadtripped to visit my great buddy, Reid Warner, who has a beautiful cabin over in Twisp, WA.  We planned for a weekend of adventure, snowmobiling and splitboarding in the pow buffet mountains of the closed North Cascades Highway.






The first day was perfect!  Conditions good, low avi danger, and periodic sun breaks in between snow flurries.  The pow buffet awaited our arrival.  On a side note, this was my first time snowmobiling, and there were some huge avi debris fields to navigate on the trip up to the bowl where we were going to ride.






Long story short, we had an excellent day playing in the snow!





A couple vids of our earned tracks!











We chilled in the hottub later that evening, and planned for another adventure in the morning. What we didn't know was that tomorrow would have other plans for us.

We woke up, headed out, and once again navigated the avi debris field to cruise up the pass and find some more pow to play in. It was another fun filled day, and we were tired and time to head home. Thus, at about 3pm we are heading back to the truck, with one major avi debris field to navigate. Being the rookie, I had been a little hesitant to give the sled enough throttle on some of the steep uphills. So, as I approached one of the steepest sections, I gave it the gas, cruised up the face and flew over the top, crashing into a car sized chunk of ice, which knocked me off the sled.

Lying there stunned, I watched as the snowmobile slowly started sliding back down the other side of the track. Then, like something out of a movie, I ran after the sled as it approached the ravine on the other side of the road. Still shakin up and not moving fast, in slow motion I watched the sled creep over the edge of the ravine and slide down, finally flipping upside down and stopping about 100 yards down the slope.





Reid and I tried desperately to get the sled back up the mountain, to no avail. Here it is SuperBowl Sunday, around 5pm and we have a stranded sled down a ravine. What to do?!

After a long brainstorm session, and several failed options, we turned to the internet and started searching. Low and behold, I stumble upon the Methow Valley Snowmobile Association... and a phone number! I call, and amazingly, a charming elderly woman answers the phone. I explain the situation, and she says "No problem... we can get you out... is tomorrow morning OK?" Here Reid and I are thinking we might have wait to until spring and the avi debris fields to melt.

So, the next morning we meet about 10 snowmobilers (most of them retired seniors, and one that's 81 years old!) and head up to rescue the abandoned sled. Amazingly, they inspect the situation, pull out some strong, elastic type ropes and we pull that dang snowmobile out of the ravine.

You talk about making good things happen... you talk about inspirational! Here I was, a rookie snowmobilin' schmuck who lost his friend's sled over the cliff, and I have know idea what to do. I call these people, and they don't care if I'm a Democrat or Republican... whether I'm rich or poor... whether I'm Christian or Muslim, etc... The only thing on their minds was helping a fellow snowmobiler out of a jam... and they all took several hours out of their day to help us out. It was an incredible gesture of goodwill and generosity.

Three cheers to all the wonderful members of the Methow Valley Snowmobile Assocation (http://www.methow.com/groomer/mvsa.htm)... your above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty efforts has helped to inspire in me a renewed sense of appreciation for the human spirit. I can't thank you enough! May you all continue to live long and healthy lives... you're an amazing group of people!

If you ever find yourself looking for some great folks to snowmobile with in the Methow Valley, or lend a helping hand after you've shot your sled over the edge, be sure to give them a call... Bev or Jerry Schultz at 509-996-2220.

No comments: